I’m often asked how I attach a table top to the base of the table. If you’ve been woodworking for any period of time you know that wood expands and contracts along its width. Because of that you need to attach the top in a way that allows it to move as it needs to. That is why I use table buttons that I make myself in my shop. Want to see how I do it? Check the video below.
Want to check out the tools I use in this video? Here is a link to the “Tools I Use” page.
Want to help support the work I do? Become a supporter by signing up at Patreon.
I like to use my Domino. It makes life in the shop so much easier and more efficient. Very important things when you are trying to make a living building furniture. So, I try to find as many uses for it as possible.
I’ve used my Domino for breadboard ends for sometime now and I made a video on the process a few years ago. I’ll link it below. But recently I’ve come up with a better way to do breadboard ends with the Festool Domino. Check the video below to see the new process and the video below it to see the old one.
Do you like the content I produce? Want to help me? Become a Patron. I offer some cool rewards.
The first commissions I got after moving to Pennsylvania from Maryland is this extending trestle table. I friend of mine from high school ordered it from me and I think I can say my first PA commission is a success! Check the video below to see how I did it.
Here are a few photos the client provided after the table was delivered.
If you’re interested in the tools I used for this project here are some links to where you can purchase them on Amazon. Purchasing anything through my Amazon links really helps me out. Amazon provides me with a small kickback for helping promote the products they sell. Don’t worry, you still get the same price. I just get a cut of it from Amazon.
For a long time I’ve wanted to turn a Christmas ornament for our tree. Each year the holidays come and pass and I never have the time to make it happen. This year was different.
I grabbed some walnut and mahogany I had laying around the shop and got to work. This was my first attempt at doing an income out turning. It’s not perfect but it is certainly acceptable for a first go. If you’d like to see how I made it check out the video below.
We have a hairbrush and the handle broke off of it. So instead of throwing it out I turned a new one for it from a walnut scrap.
This was a really easy and simple project and I debated about whether or not to film it at all. However, it afforded me the opportunity to begin to get used to using my traditional turning tools instead of the carbide tools that I typically use.
If you’d like to see how I fixed the brush, check out the video below.
The bench measures 6′ long by 24″ wide and 34.75″ high. The top and base are made from SPF construction lumber. The leg vise chop, wagon vise and sliding deadman are mahogany and the planing stop is walnut. The bench has other walnut accents as well such as the vise handles and hubs.
Having a real workbench in the shop is a real game changer. I can’t believe I waited so long to build one. Check the videos below to see the build process.
Seems like sliding barn doors are all the rage these days. Turns out I was recently commissioned to build one. In my case, it was just the door. The client took care of the hardware so I didn’t have to deal with that.
I built this one out of walnut lumber. I absolutely love walnut. The basic construction is frame and panel. It came together really nicely and all in all its a pretty simple build. If you like to see how I went about it check out the video below.
I was recently commissioned to build a bar top from reclaimed 2×4 lumber that was pulled from the walls of a home that was being renovated. The client wanted the bar top to be finished with bar top epoxy. This is something I hadn’t had the opportunity to try before so I gladly accepted as I’m always looking to try something new. Check out the build video below then keep reading for information about the products I used and other specifics about the build.
The epoxy was definitely and experience. I ended up pouring two gallons of epoxy on the top and a lot of it ended up dripping off the edges and onto my floor. Of course I had drop clothes and other measures in place to catch all of the dripping epoxy. While the mess was contained, it was hard for me to see all of that epoxy all over my shop.
Recently I had to opportunity to make a gift for someone. I decided to turn to my lathe and give a segmented bowl a try. I’ve never done any segmented turning so this was a bit of a gamble but it actually turned out far better than I expected. Check it out in the video below.
If you’ve been following my work for the last few months you know that I’ve been working on my hand cut dovetails. In fact I recently finished my first project with them, a dovetailed keepsake box. During this project I realized that I needed some additional tools, mostly a marking knife. So instead of going out to buy one, I set out to make one. Here’s how I did it!