An episode or two or three ago the guys at the Making It Podcast suggested that someone out there in the world make a compilation video of every time that Jimmy DiResta said “streets of New York” in his video celebrating 600,000 youtube subscribers.
I waited a little while before making the video because I assumed that later the same day that the episode was released the video would exist. It didn’t, so I made it.
If for some reason you haven’t already, be sure to check out Jimmy’s YouTube Channel.
We have a hairbrush and the handle broke off of it. So instead of throwing it out I turned a new one for it from a walnut scrap.
This was a really easy and simple project and I debated about whether or not to film it at all. However, it afforded me the opportunity to begin to get used to using my traditional turning tools instead of the carbide tools that I typically use.
If you’d like to see how I fixed the brush, check out the video below.
The bench measures 6′ long by 24″ wide and 34.75″ high. The top and base are made from SPF construction lumber. The leg vise chop, wagon vise and sliding deadman are mahogany and the planing stop is walnut. The bench has other walnut accents as well such as the vise handles and hubs.
Having a real workbench in the shop is a real game changer. I can’t believe I waited so long to build one. Check the videos below to see the build process.
Seems like sliding barn doors are all the rage these days. Turns out I was recently commissioned to build one. In my case, it was just the door. The client took care of the hardware so I didn’t have to deal with that.
I built this one out of walnut lumber. I absolutely love walnut. The basic construction is frame and panel. It came together really nicely and all in all its a pretty simple build. If you like to see how I went about it check out the video below.
I was recently commissioned to build a bar top from reclaimed 2×4 lumber that was pulled from the walls of a home that was being renovated. The client wanted the bar top to be finished with bar top epoxy. This is something I hadn’t had the opportunity to try before so I gladly accepted as I’m always looking to try something new. Check out the build video below then keep reading for information about the products I used and other specifics about the build.
The epoxy was definitely and experience. I ended up pouring two gallons of epoxy on the top and a lot of it ended up dripping off the edges and onto my floor. Of course I had drop clothes and other measures in place to catch all of the dripping epoxy. While the mess was contained, it was hard for me to see all of that epoxy all over my shop.
I’ve had my WorkSharp WS3000 for around a year now and I love it. It is super fast and repeatable, two things I really enjoy about a sharpening system. It is also very clean compared to water stones. What I don’t like about the WS3000 is that the paper abrasives used to sharpen your plane irons and chisels wears out rather quickly and it isn’t cheap.
There are other options out there for diamond discs for the WS3000 but the reviews weren’t great and I wasn’t about to spend around $150 to get the whole set up to find that I wasn’t satisfied.
Recently a friend of mine, Brian Prusa, gave me an old Stanley No. 93 shoulder plane. Which was AWESOME of him. It needed a bit of love to get in working order. To see how I did it check out the video below. You can follow Brian on twitter @bprusa
Recently I had to opportunity to make a gift for someone. I decided to turn to my lathe and give a segmented bowl a try. I’ve never done any segmented turning so this was a bit of a gamble but it actually turned out far better than I expected. Check it out in the video below.
If you’ve been following my work for the last few months you know that I’ve been working on my hand cut dovetails. In fact I recently finished my first project with them, a dovetailed keepsake box. During this project I realized that I needed some additional tools, mostly a marking knife. So instead of going out to buy one, I set out to make one. Here’s how I did it!
Last year my buddy Mark Dolan (@markspens on Twitter) came up with the idea of the Make it Forward Project (@makeitforward). Essentially it’s a project that is created by several craftspeople and artists around the country in a collaborative effort. Then, once completed the piece would be auctioned off for charity.
This is the first iteration of the Make It Forward Project and I’m sure there will be more to follow.
This time around we built a chess set. Mark built the chess boards, I built the casework and drawer, Brandon Fischer turned the knob, Sean Rubino made the sculpted feet and Jimmy DiResta cast the chess pieces.
This is truly a one of a kind piece that was made by some amazing craftspeople, builders, makers and woodworkers.
The charity that will benefit from the proceeds of the auction is Paws 2 Care. This is a great organization that used therapy dogs to help people suffering from cancer, children with special needs and wounded warriors and their children (a cause that is very near and dear to me as an injured combat veteran). Even if you can’t bid on the piece please check out Paws 2 Care.
Head over to the auction page and if you can place a bid. Your bid will help out a great organization as 100% of the proceeds go to charity as well as it shows support for local makers, builders, woodworkers and artisans.